I have grown tired of having to rev the snot out of my 200hp 2ZZ-GE powered 2001 MR2 Spyder. I want the grunt of the V6 in my lightweight sports car. So now the build begins…
- 2005 3MZ-FE, used, 103,000 miles. I’ll refresh the belts, tensioners, water pump and a few other bits.
- 2001 1MZ-FE 3 liter VVTi engine harness. This is plug and play on the later 3MZ using the 1MZ VVTi ECU. This allows the use of a non-electronic throttle control. The what? Old fashioned wired throttle.
- 2001 1MZ-FE knock sensors.
- 2001 Toyota Avalon ECU, Toyota part number: 89661-07311. I believe this may have had the immobilizer hooked up to it. Cost was $75 for him to zap the ECU back into virgin mode. So I will send it off to:
- Joseph Mensh
- 8052 elm Dr
- Ste G
- Mechanicsville VA 23111
- 1997 Toyota 1UZ-FE V8 70mm throttlebody. I’ll have a RSm 1UZ to 3MZ adapter to make this fit on the 3MZ plastic intake manifold.
- OBX 1MZ-FE stainless steel exhaust headers. These need to be modified to fit the V6 / manual transaxle configuration. They are designed for the Camry. But are easily adapter to work on the MR2. These are some nice flowing Chinese made headers, we also use them on the MK2 yellow endurance racing MR2.
- Stock modified 3SGTE steel flywheel. Street car, so standard street stuff will be used. Makes driving in traffic easier. Clutch is an ACT HD pressure plate and friction plate.
- Mishimoto MMRAD-SPY-00 Aluminum radiator. Crash damage protection. The only radiator that RSm uses.
- NoobieMR2 1MZ/3MZ E153 engine mount adapter set. http://mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=471912
- Moroso 1.5 Quart oil accumulator, for those days that we do track the car at VIR or Summit Point.
- K&N bigass air filter and BPi Flow Stack intake with Jet Performance Mass Air Flow Meter.
- Woodsport Performance 6-Speed gearbox with Quaife LSD.
- 1995 Toyota MR2 turbo axles and intermediate shaft modified using the RSm mount on the intermediate shaft. ST185 26-spline outer CVs.
- Walbro High Pressure 255LPH fuel pump, internal returnless FPR.
The chassis is already pretty sorted with Eibach Pro springs and Koni struts, RSm chassis reinforcements, and 245 40ZR17 and 215 40ZR17 tires with matching big wheels. Brakes are stock with Porterfield pads.
More to come as we start putting it all together. And when I am done, you will know how to build your own MR2 Spyder GTv6!